Please help by donating.

Request for Donations

Thursday, January 21, 1999

Cataclysmic Dream

The device was about to go off, it was a new type of destructive weapon, only organic material would be destroyed, but everything else would be intact. Could it have been a neutron bomb? I wasn't sure, but then someone had come up to me and said " What was the matter" and I replied "no time, we have to leave now!"

As we ran through the building, looking for an exit, I kept looking at the countdown, just seconds remained, then when the timer had reached all zeros, I then yelled "We’re out of time, keep going, we just might make it" all the time while the other person kept asking "What was going on?"

We crashed through the door with the exit sign above it, but there were still 2 floors that we had to get down. I could still hear people in the building, somewhere further down the hall, someone was shuffling papers or things or was it someone crying? I wasn’t sure.
Flying down the stairs, sometimes skipping 2 or 3 steps. Knowing that we just had to get out of there. As we reached our goal, the door leading to the outside, I was waiting to hear an explosion or something to indicate that the device had gone off, but nothing, just a dreaded silence.

Once again crashing through the door to the outside, thinking that we still had a distance to go and not being sure that we were going to be safe. As we walked hurriedly through the area, almost at a panicked run, not wanting to panic people, I was still unconsciously holding the timer or detonation device. I could see the people going about they’re business, not knowing of the danger that existed.

I saw a familiar face, Jessica, as she was attending to a child, wearing her pink sweater, looked at me and smiled, but I couldn't return the smile, knowing what I knew what was about to happen. I saw children playing about, people walking, enjoying what was about to be they’re last day on the face of this earth.

Just then someone that I didn’t recognize, the person that was following me out of the building, had turned to me and said "remember this, and don’t forget us" in his long dark coat, flowing in the wind as he walked he started to smoke or smolder, not a cigarette, but from all over his body.

The children that were playing in the courtyard and the people that were walking had stopped where they stood and crouched down, covering they’re faces and started to smoke rise all over they're bodies as well…

I stumbled backwards while walking and eventually fell to the ground, I started to crawl, trying to get away, watching in horror as the words burned into my mind, repeated itself over and over again, "remember this and don’t forget us, never let this happen again".
I looked at my arms from where I sat, looking for signs of smoke from my arms, knowing that the device had gone off, wondering why there wasn’t an explosion, but knowing that it had gone off.

I could see the desperation and in his and Jessica’s eyes, and the questioning look as if they were asking, why did this have to happen to me?

I sat there frozen in horror seeing the people smolder and hearing the crying from the people.

No comments: