Please help by donating.

Request for Donations

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Week in Review

For sometime now, I've been having issues with the Truck. It's a great truck however I've had this issue where when it gets hot or if I drive a distance, when I stop off and then try to start the truck to return home, it won't start. No turning of the starter, no clicking of the solenoid. So this past Saturday, my friend and I took out the starter and took it down to the auto store to have them test it.

The starter tested just fine and it appeared to be the OEM starter, so I decided to get a new starter anyway. I get home, put the starter in and my friend decides to remove the non-functioning car alarm. After all that was removed, get into the truck and turn the key... No joy. The power comes on for everything else, the stereo, lights, etc... but no turning of the starter. We double checked everything, got the tester out and tested for power.

Still couldn't start the truck. After working on the truck for 8 hours, we both decided to give up for the day. The next day, Sunday, I jacked up the truck and rolled under it to see if I could trace the lines to find the problem. I was looking right at it, and I'll explain towards the end.

I gave up and called the shop to pick up my truck to have them look at it. That was on Monday, after they picked up my truck on a wrecker, about 6 hours later, I got a call from the shop that my truck was ready. They told me that one of the wires was on the wrong post, not the one directly from the battery, but the other "ground" wire.

Funny thing is on Sunday, I was looking directly at the issue, I kept thinking that the wire was in the wrong place but because I was already tired, it didn't register in my mind.

Now a new issue has come up, not as critical as the truck not starting... the radio doesn't turn on, so I'll have to double check the wiring, it did work before all this, so there maybe a crossed wire or a fuse may have blown.

Ok, now I have everything back. I ended up pulling out the stereo cause it was bugging me and double checked the wires. I made sure I tightened the wire caps for the Ignition and the Power. Started up my truck and pressed the power button... STEREO! Now I just have to reconfigure the stations and the other settings, then it'll be done.

I also now need to replace the 5 amp fuse for the Instrument panel lights... seems like my work is never done... but I guess that's half the fun of owning a vehicle worth working on.

つづく ( To be continued... )

No comments: